Tuesday, December 11, 2012

What to Make with Fresh Pears?

After I picked all these pears (see last post), I had to do something with them.  The apples were pretty easy, but the pears were a bit more challenging.  I picked a variety of pear called the Keiffer, which is a crisp pear that is good for baking. So here is what I have done with them.


I made Pear Bread,which is really a quick bread only made in a bundt pan.
A few notes: I diced my pears rather than grate them and used pecans rather than walnuts.  I only ended up needing 2 pears to make 2 cups. I did use butter, not oil, and cooked it for 60 minutes.  If I had let it go any longer, it would have burned.
This made a great breakfast bread.

I also made a Pear Crisp from the Pioneer Woman. Sorry I didn't get a picture. 

And lastly, I canned Ginger Pear Preserves.  I got the recipe straight from the Ball jar makers themselves.
These would make great gifts as well.  I added a tag and some ribbon.

I hope I have given you a few ideas for fresh pears.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment